Novi Sad

novi-sadGEOGRAPHICAL POSITION AND CLIMATE

At the very glance of the map of Europe, Vojvodina is perceived as the green area delineated by the borders with Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovinia, Hungary, Romania and Central Serbia. Due to its geographical position, relief and favorable climate, this is a rich agricultural region. Situated at the 45th parallel, it has a continental climate.

 

Halfway between the Equator and The North Pole, you can enjoy all of the four seasons. Vojvodina also represents a natural bridge connecting Middle and Western Europe with the Balkans and Near East. The part of the Danube that runs through Vojvodina is 340km. long. Together with the Danube, Fruška Gora makes the most beautiful part of the city surroundings.

Novi Sad is 45 ° 20'0 "N, 19 ° 51'0" E, in the central part of Vojvodina in northern Serbia, on the border between Backa and Srem.

Novi Sad is the capital of this region. It lies on the left bank of the Danube, in the central area of Vojvodina, in the northeastern part of Serbia. It is said to be located at the crossroads of important roads and waterways of Europe. Novi Sad is situated at the very point where the main Danube-Tisa-Danube Canal meets the main railway Berlin-Prague-Budapest-Istambul-Athens. It is 86 kilometers away from Belgrade, Serbian capital. On the right bank of the Danube there is Petrovaradin and famous Petrovaradin Fortress with a magnificent view of Novi Sad and the Danube, which is the most memorable and impressive feature of the city.

Climate in Novi Sad from moderately exceed kontinelntalne in continental, so that the city has four seasons. Over the autumn and winter there is cold wind, which usually lasts from three to seven days. Wind can during the winter to create banks of snowdrifts and snow during the blizzard. The average air temperature in the city of 10.9 ° C, mean temperature in January is -1 ° C, while in July 21.6 ° C. Annual fall 578 mm precipitation, the number of days with precipitation is 122nd

Weather forecast for Novi Sad

 

SHORT HISTORY OF NOVI SAD


It is hard to imagine that the area of today’s Novi Sad used to be The Panonian Sea. After the withdrawal of the sea water, this settlement was first mentioned in the Roman Age by Barbarian, Avarian and then Turkish conquerors. History of the city started when Petrovaradin Fortress was built, in 1692.

This settlement on the left bank of the Danube was formerly known as: Racka town (Raitzenstadt, i.e. Serbian City) and Petrovaradinski Šanac (Petrovaradin Trench) and it was named Novi Sad later in 1748. Original inhabitants of these settlements were mostly Serbs, but there were also Germans, Jews, Hungarians, Armenians, Bulgarians, Tzintzars and Greeks.

In 1748 it was proclaimed a free royal city and got today's name, when rich citizens of Racka town paid 80.000 forints in silver to Empress Maria Theresa for the status of free royal city. On that occasion, on February 1st, 1748 (which is from 1996 on celebrated as the official city jubilee) the Empress issued an edict on its independence.

In 1771 and 1838 the city was destroyed by the flood. During 18th and 19 century, Novi Sad was the largest Serbian city (in 1820. it had around 20,000 inhabitants). In that period, Novi Sad was the centre of political, cultural and social life of the whole Serbian nation and thus it was called Serbian Athens.

In the course of history Novi Sad suffered multiple devastations. In 1848, in a war between Serbs and Hungarians, Hungarian troops bombarded Petrovaradin Fortress and destroying the city and killing most of its population. Between 1849 and 1860, the city was a part of Vojvodstvo Srbije (Serbian Dukedom) and Tamiški Banat. Matica Srpska was moved to Novi Sad in 1864.

For Novi Sad World War I was ended on October 9 in 1918 when Serbian Army liberated the city which was then joined to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. In 1929 Novi Sad became the capital of Dunavska Banovina (The Danube County), one of the provinces in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

Hungarian fascists occupied the city in 1941. The occupying army had committed numerous crimes over Serbian and Jewish people. One of the most notable mass murders was raid in Novi Sad.

On October 23, 1944 the city was liberated. From 1945 Novi Sad has been the capital of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina.

NOVI SAD SIGHTS


Petrovaradin Fortress 1692-1780
Petrovaradin fortress is located in Novi Sad, Serbia, on Petrovaradin rocks Petrovaradin in place on the right bank of the Danube. In place prior medieval buildings, the current fortress was built in Austria between 1692. until 1780 year because of the constant danger from the Turks and the proximity of the border with Otoman empire. Because of its size and dominancy known as Gibraltar on the Danube. Officially, the last work on the construction of the fortress were executed in 1780 year but the work extended to 1790 when Petrovaradin fortress became the most modern armed fortress of the entire Empire.

Churches and Monasteries 
· Nikolajevska crkva (Nikolay's Church) (1730) - with the iconostasis made by Pavle Simić (1862)

· Uspenska crkva (1736) - with baroque features and iconostasis made by Vasa Ostojić

· Almaška crkva (Almas Church) (1797) - with classical baroque portal, woodwork made by Aksentije Marković and icons by Arsenije Todorović (1925)

· Saborna crkva (Orthodox Cathedral) (1742) - with iconostasis made by Paja Jovanović and wall paintings done by Stevan Aleksić (1904)

· Rimokatolička parohijska crkva (Roman Catholic Parish Church) (1895) - built in neo- gothic style designed by Đorđe Molnar

· Sinagoga (Synagogue) (1906) - designed by Lipota Baumhorn

· Franjevački samostan sv. Juraja (Franciscan Monastery of St. George) (XVIII century) - in Petrovaradin with a baroque Catholic Church

· Crkva Snežne Gospe na Tekijama (Church of Snowy Holy Mother at Tekije) (XVIII century) - built in the memory of Austrian army's victory in the battle against the Turks in 1716

· Evangelistička crkva (Evangelical Church) (1886) - designed by Jozefa Coceka

· Rusinska grčko-katolička crkva (Ruthenian Greek-Catholic Church) (1820) - built in baroque - panonian style with the iconostasis made by Arsenije Teodorović

Old Buildings

· "Kod belog lava" ("At the White Lion's"), the oldest shopping mall and apartment one - storey building situated on the corner of Dunavska and Zmaj Jovina Streets, built in 1780

· "Grčka škola" ("Greek School") situated at Grčkoškolska Street 3, where the school organized by the Greek and Tzintzar settlers worked from 1783 to 1869, built in 1780

· "Plebanija" Katolička porta (The Yard of Catholic Church) (1808)

· "Miletićeva škola" ("Miletic's School) in the yard of Nikolay's Church (1872): designed by Djordje Molnar

· "Adamovićeva palata" ("Adamovic's Palace"), at Trg Mladenaca (the Square of the Newlyweds), built in 1911

· Muzej Vojvodine (The building of the Museum of Vojvodina in Dunavska street) (1900) designed by Gyula Vagner

· Gimnazija J.J. Zmaj (Grammar School "Jovan Jovanović Zmaj") from 1910 designed by Vladimir Nikolić

· Jodno kupatilo (Iodine Bath) from 1907 to1910 designed by Imre Frencek

· "Banovina" Palace from 1939 designed by Dragiša Brašovan


CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS


Museum of Vojvodina
Dunavska 35 - 37, Novi Sad
Tel/Fax: +381 21 420566, +381 21 525059
Web: www.muzejvojvodine.org.rs
Guided Group tours through the Museum's Permanent Exhibition are organized every working day at 3 pm. Permanent Exhibition presents Vojvodina from the Paleolithic to the middle of the20th century (archeology, history, ethnology)

City Museum of Novi Sad
Petrovaradin Fortress, Petrovaradin
Telephone: +381 21 433145, +381 21 433613
E-mail: muzgns@eunet.rs
Open: 10am - 5 pm, closed on Mondays
Permanent Exhibition: An exhibition put on by the Department of Cultural History (selection from the collections of fine arts from 1748 to the middle of the 20th century)

City Museum of Novi Sad, Exhibition Space TOPOVNJAČA (The Gunboat)
Petrovaradin Fortress, Novi Sad
Telephone: +381 21 433145, +381 21 433613
Arte-facts on display are related to the people and events from the history of Novi Sad from 1748 to the middle of the 20th century. In a unique way, this collection illustrates the residents' lifestyle, quality, prospects and culture of residence.

City Museum - Underground Military Galleries
Petrovaradin Fortress, Petrovaradin
Telephone: +381 21 433145, +381 21 433613
Open: 10 am-5pm, closed on Mondays
Permanent Exhibition

City Museum - Collection of Foreign Art
Dunavska 29, Novi Sad
Telephone: +381 21 551239
Open: 9 am-4 pm, closed on Mondays
Permanent exhibition of Doctor Branko Ilić's legacy, the collection presents works of West European teachings from the Renaissance to the 20th century, mostly from Central European area.

City Museum - Official Collection in Sremski Karlovci
Patrijarha Rajačića 16, Sremski Karlovci
Telephone: +381 21 881673
Open: 09-16h on working days, on Saturdays and Sundays only for pre-arranged tours
Permanent exhibition: The history of Karlovačka gimnazija (Karlovci Grammar School) and Theological School, Archeological heritage of Sremski Karlovci and its surroundings, a village room and kitchen from the beginning of the 20th century, and the legacies of paintings by Milić of Mačva and architect Svetomir Lalić.

City Museum - Memorial Collection of Jovan Jovanović Zmaj
Trg J. J. Zmaja 1, Sremska Kamenica
Telephone: +381 21 462810

Matica Srpska
Matice srpske 1, Novi Sad
Telephone: +381 21 527622, +381 21 527855
E-mail: ms@maticasrpska.org.rs
Web: www.maticasrpska.org.rs

Cultural Centre of Novi Sad
Katolička porta 5, Novi Sad
Telephone: +381 21 525720, +381 21 528972

Cultural Animation Centre
Katolička porta 2, Novi Sad
Telephone: +381 21 420221 Climate